Tuesday 8 December 2009

Sibling rivalry

My children are going through a Fighty Phase.

Just before I sat down to type this, I heard an almighty roar from Tig. She was screaming because the Boy had turned all the lights off while she was sitting in her high chair at the dining table, leaving her in complete darkness while he scuttled off giggling into the playroom. I bashed my ankle very hard as I crossed the pitch-dark kitchen to find the light switch, too, so THAT didn't help the Boy's cause. Meanwhile Egg finds every possible opportunity that she can to remind the younger two that she is a LOT older, "practically an adult", and sneakily teasing them when she thinks I can't hear.

My punishment for the Boy for switching off the lights was to tell him that he won't get his long-awaited pack of Toy Story 2 stickers, which the Husband is bringing home for him tonight. He can have them tomorrow when he's demonstrated some good behaviour. Surprise, surprise, the reason I can type this in peace is that he's now being the Ultimate Big Brother. I can hear him saying "Shall we play with your babies, or shall we do a puzzle? You choose, Tig. We could play in your room!" It's all very sweet, but every so often he turns to me with a beatific toothless grin and whispers "Will I be getting my stickers now?". Little imp.

They'llbefriendswhenthey'reolderthey'llbefriendswhenthey'reolderthey'llbefriendswhenthey'reolder...And breathe.

2 comments:

  1. It is only due to the 20 miles that are currently seperating us that I am brave enough to tell you that it was not until I was 20ish that me and my brother started to get along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mum told me when I saw her recently that all me and my brother did was fight. All the time. Perhaps my new baby should be an only child ;)

    ReplyDelete